Last Updated: April 28, 2022
Information That You Give Us
- For contact information:
- Category of Personal Information Collected: such as name, address, and phone number
- Source: from our members, contributors, and other users (collectively, “Users”) when they visit the Sites, call us, register for events, sign-up for emails or another service, or otherwise interact with us
- Purpose for Collection: to communicate with and respond to our Users about the services we offer, including verification of identity or to meet legal obligations.
- Categories of Recipients: we may share this information with select marketing, information technology, or other service providers and partners.
- For browsing information:
- Category of Personal Information Collected: such as your IP address, MAC address, or other device identifier, the kind of browser or computer you use, pages and content that you visit on the Sites, what you click on, the state and country from which you access the Sites, date and time of your visit, and web pages you linked to our Sites from.
- Purpose for Collection: to evaluate usage of the Sites and improve performance and Client Services; to protect the security and integrity of the Sites and our business, such as preventing fraud, hacking, and other criminal activity or to meet legal obligations
- Categories of Recipients: our service providers who help us with fraud protection and website analytics
- For payment information:
- Category of Personal Information Collected: name, card issuer and card type, credit or debit card number, expiration date, CVV code, and billing address
- Source: from our clients and their payment card issuers
- Purpose for Collection: Authorizing of credit card and other financial transactions for our clients and their customers
- Categories of Recipients: Our service providers who process payments for us—they are prohibited from using personal information for any other purposes and are contractually required to comply with all applicable laws and requirements, which includes the Payment Card Industry Data Security standards
- For accident information:
- Category of Personal Information Collected: details about any accident or injury in our facilities, or while on a tour, or a health incident
- Source: from you, witnesses, or observed about you
- Purpose for Collection: To get you the help you need, deal with the emergency services, insurance, and claims
- Categories of Recipients: Law enforcement and other governmental authorities in accordance with applicable law, and our professional advisors
- For suspected crime information:
- Category of Personal Information Collected: details of your identity, image, name, and address, suspected or alleged thefts, fraud, assault, or other criminal behavior
- Source: from crime and fraud prevention agencies, from you, witnesses, and the police
- Purpose for Collection: to protect customers, the public, and our business against risks and crime
- Categories of Recipients: law enforcement and other governmental authorities in accordance with applicable law, and our professional advisors
In some jurisdictions, individuals may have the right to opt-in or withdraw consent for certain uses. If you reside in such jurisdictions, you may have additional rights which are detailed below, “Access, Correction and Deletion.”
Information We Collect Automatically
When you visit the Sites, we may collect certain information from you, including your Internet Protocol (IP) address, MAC address, browser type, operating system, device-identifying information, the specific web pages visited during your connection, and the domain name from which you accessed the Sites. In addition, we may collect information about your browsing behavior, such as the date and time you visit the Sites, the areas or pages of the Sites that you visit, the amount of time you spend viewing the Sites, the number of times you return to the Sites and other clickstream data. We may also use non-personal or aggregated information for statistical analysis, research, and other purposes.
We may combine the information we collect through cookies, web beacons, or other technology tools with other information we have collected from you or information from other sources.
Use of Information
If you sign up for our mailing list, we will send you informational emails about offers of services. At any time, you can ‘unsubscribe’ yourself from our email list simply by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ button.
If you do not wish to receive communications from us about special offers and promotions, you can opt-out of receiving these communications by following the instructions contained in the messages you receive. Even if you opt-out of receiving these messages, we reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to the services we provide, and we may send you service announcements and administrative messages. We do not offer you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving those communications. For more information about interest-based advertising, including how you can manage advertising, please see below “Interest-Based Advertising.”
Disclosure of Information
Please note that if you voluntarily submit any personal information for posting on the Sites, such as a review or a blog post, the information becomes publicly available and can be collected and used by others, so you should use care before posting information about yourself online.
We may use third-party advertising companies that use tracking technologies to serve our advertisements across the Internet. These companies may collect information about your visits to the Sites and other websites and your interaction with our advertising and other communications. These advertising companies serve ads on behalf of us and others on non-affiliated sites, and some of those ads may be personalized, meaning that they are intended to be relevant to you based on information collected about your visits to the Sites and elsewhere over time. Other companies may also use such technology to advertise on our Sites.
You have the choice to tell us not to collect and use this information, and in some jurisdictions, we will only engage in interest-based advertising if you opt in. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices concerning interest-based ads, visit:
Access, Correction, & Deletion
We respect your right to access and correct your personal information. You may access your personal information by signing into your account or contacting the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 215-561-4700. From there, you can correct or modify your information. You may also exercise your rights, subject to applicable laws, to request that we delete or restrict access to your personal data. We may need to retain it for legally permitted purposes, and this will be explained to you if necessary.
If you need assistance correcting or updating your personal information or would like to request that we delete your personal information, please contact us using the contact information detailed in the “Contact Us” section below.
Retention of Personal Information
Personal information that we collect, access, or process will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it was collected unless otherwise provided in agreements between you and the Council or as required or authorized by law. Personal information that is no longer required to fulfill the identified purposes will be destroyed, erased, or made de-identified.
We maintain commercially reasonable measures designed to maintain information we collect in a secure manner. We have taken certain physical, electronic, and administrative steps to safeguard and secure the information we collect from visitors to the Sites. Even though we follow reasonable procedures to try to protect the information in our possession, no security system is perfect, and we cannot promise, and you should not expect, that your information will be secure in all circumstances.
The Council is concerned about the privacy and safety of children when they use the Internet. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of thirteen without verifiable parental consent.
If you are a parent or guardian, we encourage you to become involved in your children's online experience and to share your knowledge and experience with your children. If you are under thirteen, please do not provide us with any contact or other information, including your name, address, or email address. If you are between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, please obtain permission from your parent or guardian before sending any contact or other information to the Council.
Parents may contact us at email@example.com to update or delete any of their children's personal information.
Visitors from Outside the United States—Cross-Border Transfer
The World Affairs Council of Philadelphia
One Penn Center
1617 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 1055
Philadelphia, PA 19103
ATTN: Privacy Request, or by telephone at 215-561-4700.
If we need, or are required, to contact you concerning any event that involves your information, we may do so by email, telephone, or mail. If you register for a program or event, we will send you a confirmation email.