Oct 12, 2021
VIRTUAL EVENT: Council Conversation Club: "Breaking News"
Members Only, Virtual Event
The World Affairs Council of Philadelphia hosted a session of the Council Conversation Club. Participants discussed the topic, "Are we in a new era of relentless diplomacy?" with one another during this hour-long conversation, facilitated by the Council's President, Lauren Swartz.
About the Event
The Council Conversation Club is the Council's version of a "book club." Participants read a few articles, listen to podcasts, or watch short videos from different viewpoints, discuss the issues with their peers, and engage with the world around them.
This session was held on Zoom, and participants received their meeting log-in link a few days in advance of the event.
- "Are We in a New Era of Relentless Diplomacy?"
- Recommended Reading/Listening:
- Joe Biden calls for a ‘new era of relentless diplomacy’ in UN speech | Financial Times
- On AUKUS: The Economist Podcasts presents The Intelligence: the AUKUS alliance (Timestamp from 0:59 - 9:45 minutes) | The Economist
- On vaccine inequity: Will Vaccine Inequity Derail COP26 | Triple Pundit
- On Haitian refugees: 344 groups call on Biden administration to half deportations to Haiti | The Hill
- On Afghanistan & a new Geopolitical Era: Afghan withdrawal leaves allies to face harsh reality of the US’s departure from world stage | CNN Politics
- Additional Optional Reading/Listening:
- Remarks by President Biden Before the 76th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (Read the remarks or Listen to the remarks [33:36 minutes])
- On AUKUS: AUKUS reshapes the strategic landscape of the Indo-Pacific | The Economist
- On Germany: The Take Podcast presents Germany’s Fractured Future | Listening time: 19:48 minutes | Al Jazeera
If you are a Supporting, Leadership Circle, or Corporate Member of the Council and would like to register other guests of your company, please contact Margaret Hasani at firstname.lastname@example.org to register.