Oct 30, 2018
2018 Midterm Elections: The Importance of Participating in Democracy
Lecture Passes Accepted
With the 2018 midterm elections quickly approaching on November 6, the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia sets out to discover just how important participating in our democracy and voting in all elections, not just those for President, truly is.
About the Event
Regardless of political affiliation, reading the headlines on any given day can leave one feeling disillusioned with American democracy. And while extreme partisanship seems ever more prevalent in the world today than in years’ past, one thing remains true—“In a democracy, agreement is not essential; participation is.”
With the 2018 midterm elections quickly approaching on November 6, the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia sets out to discover just how important participating in our democracy and voting in all elections, not just those for President, truly is. Whether you’re voting for the first time or the 50th, join us a week before election day to learn from a panel of experts who will discuss political behavior, elections analysis, the campaigning process, political polarization, and voters’ rights issues.
During this event, the Council, in partnership with Bodine High School for International Affairs, will recognize students who will have the privilege of voting in their first election on November 6.
About the Panelists
- Rachel Bitecofer, Assistant Director for the Wason Center in Newport News, Virginia
- Jamira Burley, former National Deputy Millennial Vote Director at Hillary For America
- Jim Schultz, Chair, Government and Regulatory Practice Group at Cozen O’Connor, Finance Director for the Pennsylvania Leadership of the GOP, and former advisor to President Trump
Young Friends Members
• Program and reception: $10 or Lecture Pass
• Program and reception: $5
Members of the Council and the NLNA
• Program and reception: $20 or Lecture Pass
• Program and reception: $30
Want to become a member or register using your company's corporate membership benefits Call Margaret Keenan at 215-561-4700 ext. 222 or Nadirah Blackman ext. 221 to take advantage of Membership for discounted tickets to programs.
For the accommodation of special needs during events (e.g. hearing/vision impairments, dietary restrictions, wheelchair accessibility), please call Hayley Boyle at 215-561-4700 ext. 227 or Kristi Scogna ext. 235.